The GEM Engineering, Inc. testing laboratory now is accredited by the AASHTO Accreditation Program (AAP) for performing a variety of AASHTO & ASTM soil test methods. The AAP recognizes the competency of a testing laboratory in construction materials testing. The program is available to all laboratories including independent laboratories, manufacturers' in-house laboratories, university laboratories, and government laboratories. The AAP utilizes laboratory assessment and proficiency sample services provided by the AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory (AMRL) and the Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL).
The AAP accreditation process included:
- Confirmation that our laboratory quality management system meets the requirements of AASHTO R18.
- An on-site assessment with by an AMRL representative.
Key aspects of AASHTO R18 include:
- Implementation and maintenance of a quality management system (QMS)
- Documentation of the laboratory quality management system objectives in the form of a quality policy statement
- Maintenance of current, accessible copies of standards for the testing performed Training procedures to ensure that laboratory personnel perform tests in accordance with standard procedures
- Internal audits and management reviews to ensure the quality management systems continuing suitability and effectiveness
- Procedures for implementing corrective action when nonconforming work or departures from policies and procedures have been discovered
- Calibration, standardization, check, and maintenance of test equipment.
We are proud of this achievement which will allow us to enhance the level of service we provide to our clients.