The Associated General Contractors (AGCKY) of Kentucky and the Kentucky Department of Labor, Office of Occupational Safety and Health (KY OSH) have a partnership that mutually recognizes the importance of providing a safe and healthful work environment in the construction industry. This partnership is called the “Construction Health and Safety Excellence (CHASE) program. For more information on CHASE see:
At the AGCKY 2007 annual meeting at the Galt House in Louisville, KY, GEM Engineering, Inc. was recognized for RED status participation in the CHASE Partnership. GEM met the following requirements to achieve this recognition:
- Develop and implement a written safety and health program that addresses those hazards that are the four leading causes of death on construction sites (falls, struck-by, caught in/between and electrocutions);
- Conduct weekly employee safety meetings;
- Conduct and document monthly self-audits;
- Promote and nurture employee involvement in day-to-day implementation of their safety and health program;
- Positive conformance with all the items in a self-audit evaluation administrated by AGC.